Friday, February 12, 2010

A New Year, A New Blog

Over the Christmas break, being the poor college student that I am, I decided to try and teach myself to knit so that I could make gifts for my family. Okay, so my real reason was so that I could make myself a really nice long scarf since I was having a hard time finding a decent one around Thunder Bay; which is just ridiculous when you think about it as it's one of the coldest areas in Ontario. My grandmother had tought me how to knit when I was younger but the knowledge never really stuck; particularly how to cast on which is the basis for any knitting project. This is when I began searching the world wide inter webs for videos that would help me make the most basic of knitting projects: a scarf. Of course as soon as I mentioned this to my family, everyone wanted me to make them one. My mother was slightly skeptical over wether or not I could self teach myself using the internet as my main tool...well I showed her. Two hours after watching my first video, I was well on my way to making my first scarf, a Christmas gift for my younger sister.

Chaos ensued as I began to spend most of my spare time knitting scarves. Within the short span of two and a half weeks (my whole Christmas break), I managed to knit 8+ scarves, not including my own which measures approximately 7-8 feet long! Plus, I managed to finish it just before leaving the house to head over to the airport, cutting it really close as I wanted the scarf done before I got back to Thunder Bay so that I would have something nice and warm wrapped around my neck.

Well now two months have gone by and I’m still knitting and learning! I purchased a few really good books and I'm constantly scouring the internet for some great video tutorials and attempting to learn new methods. I'm hoping to learn a lot more over the summer as I will be back in my home town and near my very skilled grandmother who's filled with wise knitting knowledge. I will be her young Padawan!

I’ve decided to start this blog so that I can share with all of you my various adventures through knitting, baking, crocheting and even film making (have I mentioned that I'm pursuing a career as a film maker?). Perhaps I can even encourage some of you to try new things or even pick up a pair of needles! Knitting is not just for the old grannies anymore; legions of young knitters are uprising everywhere and it's about time that knitting became fun and cool again!

Of course this blog won’t be solely dedicated to knitting; as I've mentioned above I'll have a wide variety of articles about some of my favourite things, short film reviews, music and even food!

So I hope you all enjoy the exploits within these virtual pages!
Have a nice day!


0 comments:

Post a Comment